Thursday, December 1, 2011

Sorry Garden, My Fault

Now that the growing season is pretty much over at the Red House Garden, I'm looking back and taking stock of some things I could have done better this past year.

Mistake #1:  Better Soil Prep
Really I guess the first thing to have done when starting my garden was to get a giant load of compost delivered and till it into my terrible clay to a good depth.  But when given the choice of buying plants or buying, well, a load of cow poo, the plants won out.  I tried to amend as I went, or at least loosen up the clay with my pickaxe...


 This is a sunflower that grew from a seed I planted.  It is quite pretty up close, but there is a problem.


It was supposed to have been a 10 foot tall mammoth sunflower.
My preparation of this site was obviously lacking.

Mistake #2: Location, location, location
Another common mistake that I made this year was placing a plant in the wrong spot.  Some plants did not get enough sun, and some got too much.  Some garden areas I planned in winter.  However, the sun changes from winter to summer, and some areas got different amounts of sun than planned.   For example, the wonderful vegetable garden that I had planned in what I thought was a good amount of sun...


Yeah, that didn't turn out so well.  These are tomato plants that I started indoors from seed early last spring.  By summer, my tomato plants were just leggy, scraggly looking things.  This area was much shadier than I had previously thought, and the effects show.  I think that my dirt was not quite rich enough as well (see mistake #1).  

I had given some of my tomato seedlings to my neighbor who had them on her deck in full sun, and when visiting one summer day I was blown away with her giant productive tomato plants!  I thought she had bought some seedlings from a nursery, as her plants looked so different from mine.

Mistake #3:  Plan Ahead Better
One could also rephrase this as 'use your brain and actually think before you plant'!  I don't know if I get caught up in the joy of planting or what, but I have had several issues with measurement.  I misjudge how big something is going to get and before I know it I have a plant that has eaten half of my porch (yeah, I'm talking about you, 'Bill Mackenzie' Clematis)!  

Accordingly, the most embarrassing gardening mistake I have made this year has to do with the thoughtless planting of black-eyed susan vine, Thunbergia alata.  I love this vine, it's easy to grow from seed, and I thought it would look lovely climbing up the sides of my brand new arbor.  I was correct on all counts. 


But there was one little detail I forgot about.
Can you see what the problem is in this picture?
Look a little more closely.


Yes, folks, that is the door handle for the gate in my arbor, and yes, it swings out, past the trellis.

And yes, you guessed it, I was unable to open my gate all summer for fear of ruining the vine. 


But it was pretty, and thankfully it's an annual.
I can try again next year.

You can check out PlantPostings' site to see what lessons other gardeners around the globe have learned this year!