Monday, August 6, 2012

A Year in the Life of a Garden Blog

One year ago, I started the Red House Garden blog.
I had no idea what I was getting into.

Red House Garden - 1 year ago
Having only built the Red House a couple years before, I was having the time of my life planning and planting gardens around it.  Since I don't have many friends who like gardening, lucky Mr. Red House got to hear all about the gardening in excruciating detail.  He is the one who begged suggested that I start a blog.

Red House front garden in fall
When I started, I had no idea what a wonderful garden blogging community I would find online.  I have enjoyed 'meeting' all of you other garden bloggers tremendously.  I have learned so much and been so inspired by reading your blogs and seeing your gardens.  It has been so great to find people who get as much joy as I do out of gardening and even just being out in nature.

Red House front garden during the very mild winter we had
I have learned so much this year just by writing this blog and taking photos for it.  Taking photos lets me go back and look at a plant or animal in detail, which has been very useful in identifying some plants and quite a few critters.  And the teacher in me makes me want to learn as much as I can about something before writing about it.

Red House front garden in spring
(Why in the world don't I have more pictures of such a glorious time of year?)
Another unexpected blessing of writing a blog - I have a terrible memory, and this blog has been a great way to document what is going on in my garden.  (What was the name of that cultivar?  Oh, I think I did a blog on that - let me look it up...)

Red House front garden full of blooms in summer
I can't believe it's already been a year since I started blogging.  It's been a fabulous adventure, going from just needing an outlet to channel my excitement about gardening to being part of a garden blogging community that continuously inspires me.  I wonder what the next year will hold.

Red House Garden now
So what have you other bloggers gained from creating your own blog?