Friday, February 8, 2013

The Post I Never Thought I'd Write

When we decided to build our dream house three years ago here in North Carolina, I thought, that's it.  After moving so often growing up, we were now settling down, raising our family here, and our kids would eventually have to wheel me out of this house right into an assisted living home.

Well, you know what they say about the best laid plans...

our beautiful red house
Recently Mr. Red House got a job offer he couldn't refuse - and it was near where his family had recently settled.  That's right, people, we're moving to...

....Boston!

Um, did you hear that they are supposed to get 3 feet of snow this weekend?
So, for the last few months, since we got wind of a possible move, garden expansion has come to a halt.  My garden as well as the blogosphere has been somewhat neglected as we have been researching the Boston area and taking a couple trips up to visit.  My in-laws made sure we saw the beauty of the Northeast and talked up the area quite a bit (as they could barely contain their excitement at the thought of grandchildren living nearby!)


Beautiful fall color!


Pick your own apple orchards!


Dirt so amazing, the plants evidently grow so well that they swallow large buildings whole!

Of course, I had a couple reservations.  I might have been born in the Northeast and even lived in Alaska when I was young (as Mr. Red House pointed out), but I haven't lived up north since college days, and I have never actually (successfully) driven in snow before.  

Um, what are these for again?
And I would certainly miss our friends and our close-knit neighborhood.  But neither I nor Mr. Red House ever got to live near our grandparents, and the thought of my kids growing up so close to theirs just warms my heart.  (Now I just have to get my parents to move close by!)

on a walk with her Grandpa
So I might not be blogging quite so much for the next couple months as we prepare to get our house on the market and move, but I will be back in full force eventually!  I will miss my Red House garden here in North Carolina, as well as my little backyard wildlife community.

Noooooo!! You can't take the bird feeders away from us!!!
But planning my next Red House Garden will be sure to be fun as well, with a whole new set of challenges and lessons in store, and a whole new family of squirrels to thwart!  
Which leads me to wonder......what color will our next house be?!