Monday, July 1, 2013

In Three Years - Part 2

During the three years we lived in the Red House, I think the back yard has changed the most.  When we moved in there was nothing but a few trees.  We put in a fence and added lots of plants!

Backyard Fence Garden
This part of the garden, which is along the side of my backyard, went through the most changes throughout the three years, probably because this was where the largest majority of my plants died!  Plants here had to contend with a hot, dry slope, bad drainage from the clay soil, and deadly root-eating voles.

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Sunny Side Garden
There used to be large oak trees on one side of the yard.  Sadly, they all became diseased and we had to have them removed.  With the new amount of sun, this eventually became the spot to squeeze in a veggie garden and blueberry bushes.

Before:
This is the only pic I have of the side yard back when.  My youngest was so little!

After:
Blueberry bushes and a Yoshino Cherry Tree are on the left, my veggie garden is on the right.

Closeup of my horseshoe-shaped veggie garden:


Shade Garden
The shade garden was my favorite garden to make.  In North Carolina, a cool, shady place to garden is a wonderful thing.  I wanted to surround all the plants here with moss - a goal I mostly achieved by the time I left. 

Before:

After:

And yes, I did keep this bench!


I hope you all enjoyed the tour of part of my previous garden!  Hopefully this time we'll stay put for quite awhile, and for the next house I'll be able to put up before and after pics 10 or even 20 years down the line.  
(Right, dearest Mr. Red House?)