Wednesday, January 15, 2014

My Grandmother's Garden

It is funny how gardens reflect the personality of the gardener.


Last week I flew to Texas for my Grandmother's funeral.  This is her garden, meticulously kept up for the past while by my aunt.  Her garden is all in order, organized and tidy, just like my Grandma liked things to be.


I always remember my Grandma as an elegant woman.  She had an eye for artistry and collected some beautiful things, a few of which she displayed in the garden.


She liked roses.  Several different types were planted in her garden, and a few were still blooming even in January.


My Grandmother also always had a good sense of humor, and didn't believe in taking life too seriously.


The garden looked so pretty even in winter.  I would have loved to have seen it in the spring or summer, with all the roses and lilies and birds-of-paradise blooming.


My grandmother would have said that this is the cycle of life.  
She will be missed.