Tuesday, April 15, 2014

I Didn't Want to Start Weeding Anyway

Well, it's finally arrived!  After much waiting, spring has finally decided to make an entrance here in Massachusetts - trees are budding, bulbs are emerging, and the first bloom has finally been spotted in my garden!

And what is the first flower to bloom at the Red House Garden? 
It is....
.
.
.
a weed!

coltsfoot
Well, beggars sure can't be choosers after such a long winter.  I'll take anything.  
Even a weed.


Thankfully, however, not long after the Coltsfoot weed in my yard started blooming, I did get a few real garden blooms.  


The diminutive early Crocus 'Spring Beauty' has started blooming.  These tiny Crocuses are so pretty and a little more unusual looking due to the dark feathering on their outer petals.


My favorite flowers blooming in the garden right now, though, are not what most people think of as flowers.


The soft, fuzzy catkins of my Pussy Willows have emerged.  Catkins are actually thin, long clusters of flowers that have either no petals or very inconspicuous ones.  

a catkin on a Pussy Willow
I have loved Pussy Willows ever since I was a kid, and I was thrilled to find them growing wild in my yard.


And it looks like I am not the only one!

To find out what else is blooming in other people's gardens around the world, visit Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day over at May Dreams Gardens blog!