Thursday, June 19, 2014

The Curse of a Gardening Overachiever

After the long winter, the call of the garden has been strong, and it's been a fast and furious spring gardening season these past few weeks.  

front walkway garden in early May..
...in late May
...and mid June.
Of course our big spring project has been our red veggie garden, but in addition to building, tilling soil, and hauling rocks for that garden, I've also spent quite a few afternoons digging up other areas of the yard.  I've had (and still have!) lots of seedlings to plant from my seed starting and winter sowing

Almost all of the seeds I winter-sowed grew quite well!
I've also received a number of plants from several generous gardeners whose gardens were overflowing (I highly recommend joining a gardening club if you love plants!)  

Have extra plants in the garden?  I'll take them!
(This one is a Campanula, I believe.)
The past few weeks have also been devoting to watering and caring for all my new little plant-lings and keeping a close eye on all the local critters (which I shall introduce to you at a later time).

Woohoo!  Snow peas!
Unfortunately, I've been so busy this spring, that, while my gardens are shaping up nicely, I've apparently overdone it.  I now have tendonitis in both wrists and am forced to hang up my shovel for a little while.

Grrr... so much I want to do!
I guess that's the problem when a new garden and an impatient, overachieving gardener meet.  I have so many grand visions of what I want my garden to look like, and of course it will take a few years to achieve anything close to that.  (I just have to keep having to remind myself of that fact!) 

But it does give me a little more time to blog now..

My Nicotiana is starting to bloom and smelling wonderful.
...and some time to slow down and actually smell some of those flowers!