Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Two Weeds or Two Wildflowers?

Since I did not grow up in this area and am a relatively new gardener, there is much I don't know about native North Carolina wildflowers.  Being a rather laid-back (i.e. lazy) gardener, I am quite willing to let interesting weeds grow in the hope that they are really wildflowers.

Sometimes this works out well for me.  Sometimes... well, there's no need to dwell on the carefully tended ragweed that Mr. Red House was so allergic to, is there..?

This summer, two interesting weeds have possibly developed themselves into full-fledged wildflowers.  The first left me quite puzzled for a while:

Getting excited.. what is this going to be?
Um.. is this some sort of alien flower?
What in the world are those sprout things sticking out of the top?!
Ahhh.. now I know what you are!
When the bloom finally opened up fully, I realized that it is indeed a wildflower of the Monarda family!

It is quite ironic that, while this chance Monarda that sprouted in between my daisies is quite healthy,  the three Monarda plants that I actually purchased this year are doing quite poorly and barely surviving.  Monardas spread quite quickly (or at least I thought they were supposed to, until I had trouble even growing my purchased plants); hopefully my wildflowers will not bully themselves back onto the weed list!

See those bright magenta purple Monarda blooms way up there in the tree?  Yeah, this plant is about 4 or 5 feet tall!
Can any of you fabulous gardeners identify what type of Monarda it is for me?  Monarda media, maybe?



The next wild flowering plant that has made its presence known in my garden is this pretty white flowering vine.


Definitely in the Morning Glory family, the bloom looks much like that of Wild Potato Vine, but the leaves are unusual.


I am hesitant to upgrade this plant to welcome wildflower status.  Many Morning Glories, such as Bindweeds, are notorious thugs and hard to eradicate.


So which should it be - Weed or Wildflower?  Can any of you more experienced gardeners identify this one for me?  It is pretty...


..but I don't want to encourage a 'wildflower' that is going to take over my backyard!

For more native wildflowers, check out Wildflower Wednesday over at Clay and Limestone!