Thursday, January 24, 2013

Name That Mystery Plant!

ugly, weed-looking plant
Yes, this post is going to be on this ugly, weed-looking plant.  But it's not a weed.  In fact, I'm quite certain it is a flowering perennial that I planted on purpose.  But what kind of perennial is it?

not a weed
The facts, as I recall them (which may or may not be true facts due to my terrible memory):  I winter sowed these seeds last winter.  (Or maybe I started them from seed indoors?)  Anyways, in spring I planted several of the little plants in a partly sunny spot, sure that I would remember what they were, and then (of course) promptly forgot their name.

looks sort of like a salad?
Unfortunately, they never flowered this past year, which I was counting on so that I could figure out what they were.

hey, they survived the voles!
Any ideas from any of you wise gardening sleuths out there?

This is yet another reason why I have a gardening blog....


*UPDATE:  Jenny aka Lancashire Rose solved the mystery!  I did indeed winter sow some seeds for Gulf Coast Penstemon last year.  Now I can look forward to some pretty purple flowers this year.  Thank you, Jenny!!!