Monday, January 14, 2013

The Earliest Daffodils

Well, it seems like I've away from the Red House Garden forever, between traveling for the holidays and then with everyone in the family falling sick with various ailments, including yours truly.  But I'm finally back and in the garden, planting those poor, dejected, last bags of bulbs that have been waiting to be planted!

And, of course, as I've been planting those last bags of daffodil bulbs, guess what's been blooming?


Oh, crap.  
I think this is my garden telling me that I am officially late with my bulb planting!


Though, to be fair, these aren't just any daffodils in bloom.  These are Narcissus 'Rijnveld's Early Sensation', the earliest of the daffodils.  Blooming in January or February down here in the South, and in March further up North, they will keep blooming even if temperatures drop into the teens.  Last year, mine bloomed even through a snowstorm.

Narcissus 'Rijnveld's Early Sensation' blooming in the snow
Thankfully, it is not snowing here now, but is instead ridiculously warm.  Perfect weather, in fact, for planting some more bulbs...


I'm almost done, really!

For what's currently blooming in other gardens around the world,