Thursday, February 13, 2014

Valentine's Day is Coming - No Pressure

When it comes to Valentine's Day, I must admit, I side with all those clueless husbands who are wondering, what, oh what, did they do to the greeting card companies to deserve this holiday.


You see, in our relationship, Mr. Red House is actually the romantic one.  For our first Valentine's Day together, he put together a scavenger hunt for me through a part of town.  My friend gave me instructions with the first clue, which led me to a florist who gave me a bunch of roses and a card with a clue for where to go next.  The trail led to half a dozen stores, all of which gave me a little something and a card with a clue in it, and then finally led, of course, to Mr. Red House, who took me out to dinner.  Yeah, he's a keeper.


We both agreed that he could never top that, so we should keep expectations low from then on.  So of course, for our second Valentine's Day together, the only thing Mr. Red House did was build me a little crate made of handmade chocolate planks with homemade chocolate raspberry truffles nestled inside.  And also give me a couple hard to find books that he had scoured the internet for to add to my book collection of old girl detective novels.


Yeah, how am I supposed to live up to that?  I have no idea what I gave Mr. Red House for our first couple of Valentine's Days - it was probably socks or something equally practical.  (Who doesn't love a good pair of socks?)  I'm usually the one who is still wracking their brain right before Valentine's Day, wondering what in the world can I get that proves I still love this guy (just in case he doesn't know) and that I can afford and that doesn't require shipping because it's by now it's too late for that.  


Last year I stumbled upon an idea that was pure genius - Mr. Red House loves to get packages, so on Valentine's Day I told him I was going to send him one package for each year we were married throughout the month of February.  Thus I didn't have to pick what to get him right then (though I had the vague notion that he needed some more black socks), and it was the gift that keeps on giving all through the month!  (I was very thankful we had Amazon prime with all those shipping costs.)


Mr. Red House isn't just romantic at Valentine's Day.  These are all pictures of the birdhouse he built for me for Christmas that I had to show off.  He painted it red, because he knows how much I miss our red house.  (I won't tell you what I gave him, as it would look sad and pathetic in comparison.  Unless you really enjoy homemade salsa.)


Isn't the birdhouse gorgeous?  As beautiful as it looks out in the snow, this is one birdhouse I'm keeping indoors.


Does anyone else have the same problem as me?  Or are you the romantic one in the relationship?  Or have you decided to rebel against the greeting card companies and just not celebrate Valentine's Day at all?


And if you are romantic, do you by chance have any good ideas for what to get a guy for Valentine's Day?  Preferably something that doesn't require shipping at this late date...

Happy Valentine's Day to all of you! 
(And to all you fellow non-romantics, good luck!)